- By Deanna Segrave-Daly
- In 2018
- April 11, 2018
10 Delicious Ways to Boost Your Fiber Intake
By: Laura Ali, MS, RDN, LDN
|If you grew up in my house you would have heard my father describe foods that were high in fiber as tasting like “sticks and twigs”! He obviously was not a fan of whole grains, dried beans or many vegetables. Like most Americans, he understood the importance of good nutrition and getting enough fiber but had grown up on a
meat and potatoes diet and wasn’t used to eating that way. (I also think he really just liked teasing my mom more than anything!)
While many, like my father, think of foods that are high in fiber as dry and bland, in reality, they can add a nutty crunchy texture and rich sweet and savory flavors to many dishes.
Try these 10 delicious ways to add a little fiber to your day – these are so tasty you’ll forget they are good for you too!
1. To start your day off right, a make-ahead southwestern style mini egg muffins may do the trick. Mix scrambled eggs with black beans, corn and a little grated cheese and you have a great grab and go breakfast.
2. Overnight oatmeal mixed with berries, apples and chopped pecans are another quick breakfast treat.
3. More of a smoothie person in the morning? Use fresh fruit, like berries, apples or pineapple in your smoothies and add a tablespoon of ground flaxseeds, wheat germ or chia seeds. It’s a sweet start to any day!
4. Avocado toast is all the rage, so top a nutty whole grain toast with sliced avocado and sprinkle that with chopped pistachios for an added crunch.
5. Top your lunchtime salad with roasted garbanzo beans or sesame seeds for some extra flavor and crunch.
6. Make a pot of wild rice, barley or wheat berries over the weekend and use them throughout the week on salads, in soups or quick sides for dinners.
7. Roasting vegetables for dinner? Toss in some chopped walnuts and dried fruit for a sweet and crunchy addition.
8. Sweet potato fries are the perfect side for a burger – leave the skin on and toss them with chili powder or Old Bay seasoning and pop them in the oven.
9. Have the munchies? Forgo the chips and crackers and opt for air-popped popcorn instead. Toss a little Parmesan cheese, grated lemon rind or cinnamon over the popped kernels for a flavorful treat.
10. Looking for a sweet treat? Nothing beats fresh berries! Top a small dish of ice cream with a half-cup of mixed berries or just have the berries themselves drizzled with a little honey or cream.
Laura Ali, MS, RDN, LDN is Manager of Nutrition and Regulatory Affairs for the StarKist Company in Pittsburgh, PA. You can follow her on twitter @LauraAli_RD