THE PENNSYLVANIA ACADEMY OF NUTRITION AND DIETETICS FOUNDATION
Scholarship Application for General or Diversity Scholarship
TYPE OF FUND: Restricted Scholarship Fund
AWARDED: These scholarships are awarded annually.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: January 11, 2019
PURPOSE: To provide a scholarship to a member of the Pennsylvania Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics who wishes to become eligible for registration through a didactic program (DP), dietetic internship (DI), individualized supervised practice pathway (ISPP), or a coordinated program (CP).
- The recipient must be a current member of the Pennsylvania Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics and meet one of the following criteria:
- Is enrolled in a Accreditation for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND)-accredited/approved DP or CP.
- Be accepted by an ACEND-accredited/approved DI or ISPP. (Application for scholarship may be made in advance of acceptance; however, acceptance must be confirmed by the time recipient is chosen.)
- Be admitted to, or in present pursuit of, a program of graduate study in a dietetics-related program at a regionally accredited college or university with the intent to practice in the field of dietetics.
- Have a minimum grade point average of 2.8.
- Demonstrate commitment to the dietetic profession and exhibit leadership qualities as evident by volunteer activities in community organizations, campus activities, or in other organizations.
- For the Diversity Scholarship only: Have a diverse background, traditionally underrepresented in the field of dietetics.
Note: The Pennsylvania Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics aligns its definition of diversity with the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. The Academy’s mission and vision are most effectively realized through the promotion of a diverse membership that reflects cultural, ethnic, gender, racial, religious, sexual orientation, socio economic, geographical, political, educational, experiential and philosophical characteristics of the public it services. The Academy actively identifies and offers opportunities to individuals with varied skills, talents, abilities, ideas, disabilities, backgrounds and practice expertise.
Selection criteria will be based on:
- Scholastic achievement (30%).
- Leadership ability as evident in recommendation letters and applicant’s statement (30%).
- Commitment to the nutrition and dietetics profession as evident from applicant’s statement and recommendation letters (20%).
- Financial need (20%).
Students are encouraged to apply for all Pennsylvania Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Foundation scholarships for which they meet criteria. However, it is the policy of the Foundation to award only one scholarship to the same individual in a given school year.
PLEASE SUBMIT THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTATION:
- Letter indicating intent and reason for applying for the scholarship, disclosing any current financial aid or reimbursement. The letter should include a brief description (100 words or less) of the applicant’s personal financial situation including amount of student loans, anticipated tuition, ability to work, and any special circumstances. For Diversity Scholarship applicants, the letter should also include a brief description of how the applicant plans to make the field of dietetics more diverse.
- A resume including employment history and volunteer experience.
- Official transcript.
- Three (3) letters of recommendation from a recent employer, a college instructor, or work or volunteer supervisor and a member of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics who would consent to be your sponsor. Letters should reflect upon the applicant’s academic ability, maturity, responsibility, ability to work as a member of a team, and potential for contributing to the dietetics profession.
- Completed Statement of Student Status form.